The FSU is concerned about the cuts to the staff and stands in support of our UMass Boston coworkers who have been hit with layoffs. Let’s show our solidarity and be there to back the PSU and CSU at the Board of Trustees’ Administration and Finance Committee meeting on November 29 at 8:15 at One Beacon Street. If you can come, please RSVP to this site: http://tinyurl.com/NovSolidarity
Below is content from a PSU email with information on the recent layoffs and upcoming action:
Last week our campus administration delivered a body blow to our UMB community, laying off numerous dedicated employees—both union and non-union—who have many, many years of service.
Here are a few facts about both the classified and professional unit layoffs:
- The average years of service of classified staff slated for layoff is 15.5;
- The most senior person on the CSU layoff list has 37.5 years of service;
- Employees on PSU’s layoff list have over 24, 26, 32, 34, and 35 years of service;
- 61% of PSU members being laid off have 15+ years seniority, while only 31% of PSU’s bargaining unit has that much seniority;
- 84.6% of PSU members being laid off are women, while women make up 62.8% of the PSU bargaining unit.